A Centennial Exhibition Proposed: Main Exhibition Building and Machinery Hall
The Secretary of State (Hamilton Fish) immediately addressed a note to all the foreign ministers in the United States (in which he inclosed the President's proclamation and the regulations adopted by the Commission), setting forth the objects of the Exhibition. In that note the Secretary said:
"The President indulges the hope that the government of--will be pleased to notice the subject, and may deem it proper to bring the Exhibition and its objects to the attention of the people of that country, and thus encourage their co-operation in the proposed Celebration. And he further hopes that the opportunity afforded by the Exhibition for the interchange of national sentiment and friendly intercourse between the people of both nations, may result in new and still greater advantages to science and industry, and at the same time serve to strengthen the bonds of peace and friendship which already happily subsist between the government and people of--and those of the United States."
The question had been discussed, for a long time, in and out of Congress, whether the Exhibition should be national or international. It had finally been settled by an act of Congress, passed in June, 1874, which requested the President to extend, in the name of the United States, "a respectful and cordial invitation to the governments of other nations to be represented and take part in the Centennial Exposition."
Congress also passed an act authorizing the striking of medals commemorative of the first meeting of the Continental Congress, and the Declaration of Independence. These were prepared at the United States Mint in Philadelphia, and were appropriate in design and elegant in workmanship. That which commemorated the Declaration of Independence bore upon one side a feminine figure that represented the Genius of Liberty, with a sword buckled to her girdle. On a shield, leaning at rest, were the Stars and Stripes. Liberty extended both her hands in token of welcome, in each of which was a chaplet which she presented respectively to two other feminine figures representing Art and Science. These had brought evidences of their skills and craft to do honor to the occasion indicated by the date of 1876 inscribed on the platform. Around the device were the words: "IN COMMEMORATION OF THE ONE HUNDREDTH ANNIVERSARY OF AMERICAN INDEPENDENCE," and "ACT OF CONGRESS, JUNE, 1874." On the other side of the medal was a feminine figure representing the Genius of America, just rising from a recumbent position, and grasping a sword in her right hand, while her left hand was raised toward a galaxy of thirteen stars, which indicated the original thirteen colonies. Beneath this figure was the date, 1776. Around the whole were the words from Richard Henry Lee's resolution, passed on the 2d of July, 1776: "THESE COLONIES ARE, AND OF RIGHT OUGHT TO BE, FREE AND INDEPENDENT STATES."
On the 18th of July, 1874, Congress passed an act for the admission free of duties, of all articles intended for the Exhibition; and the preliminary work and arrangements being completed, contracts were made for the erection of suitable buildings for the Exhibition. These were five in number, and were erected at a total cost of $4,444,000. They were named, respectively, the "Main Exhibition Building," "Memorial Hall or Art Gallery," "Machinery Hall," "Horticultural Hall," and "Agricultural Hall." The "Memorial Hall" and "Horticultural Hall" are elegant structures, and remain as permanent buildings in Fairmount Park. The "Main Exhibition Building" has also remained, and is used for a Permanent Exhibition.
Memorial Hall or Art Gallery was the first building erected. The construction of it was begun on the 4th of July, 1874, and cost $1,500,000. Horticultural Hall was begun on the first of April, 1875, and cost $251,937. A week later Machinery Hall was begun, and cost $792,000. In May, that year, the Main Building, covering twenty-one acres and a half, was begun, and cost $1,600,000; and Agricultural Hall was begun on the 15th of October, 1875, and cost $300,000. It was the last one completed, having been finished on the first day of February, 1876. These several buildings covered about forty-nine acres of ground, and had annexes that covered twenty-six acres, making a total of seventy-five acres; a much greater space than was ever before covered by any Exhibition buildings. Besides these there were numerous other structures erected by national and individual exhibitors, and by our several States and Territories, making the whole number on the Centennial grounds one hundred and ninety.
The managers of the Exhibition classified it into seven departments, namely, Mining and Metallurgy, Manufactures, Education and Science, Art, Machinery, Agriculture, and Horticulture. From the beginning, the women of our country manifested great interest in the enterprise; and when, in the summer of 1875, it was found that applications for space from foreign countries were so numerous that, under the rules for classification, much work done by women would be thrown out, or lost among the crowd of masculine exhibitors, a separate building for women was suggested. The idea created much enthusiasm among the women of our land, and very soon, through their exertions, ample means were provided for the erection and equipment of such a building. Under the leadership of Mrs. E. D. Gillespie of Philadelphia, and with the sanction of the Centennial Commission, a Women's Centennial Committee was formed, composed of active women in various States and Territories. Mrs. Gillespie was appointed President; Mrs. John Sanders, Vice-President; Mrs. Frank M. Etting, Secretary, and Mrs. S. A. Irwin, Treasurer.