Home › London Inns and Gardens › London Inns and Gardens: Castle
London Inns and Gardens: Castle
The sign of The Elephant and Castle, on the south side of the river, was adopted from the crest of the Cutlers' Company, into whose trade ivory, and consequently elephants' tusks, enters very considerably. With regard to the "Castle," this was in mediæval times inseparable from the idea of an elephant, owing to the part which these huge animals anciently took in the Punic wars. Another "Elephant and Castle" exists in the parish of St. Pancras, near King's Cross; but this sign originated from the discovery, in 1714, of the skeleton of an elephant in the neighbourhood of Battle Bridge. A flint-headed spear lay beside the remains, and from this it is reasonable to conjecture that the animal must have been killed by the Britons who were led by Queen Boadicea against the Romans in the year 61 A.D.