Home › The Cabildo of New Orleans › The Cabildo of New Orleans: Jackson
The Cabildo of New Orleans: Jackson
Since 1910 the Cabildo, in common with the Presbytere, the old Civil District Court, a building of nearly the same age and appearance, located on the other side of the Cathedral, has been the Louisiana State Museum. The curios are shown in a large hall on the ground floor. Among these is the flag used by General Jackson at the battle of New Orleans.
From this hall of relics a door leads to a courtyard, which is lined by tiers of gloomy cells. Stocks and other reminders of the old Spanish days are in evidence. The old Place d'Armes is now called Jackson Square.
On either side are the Pontalba buildings, which were erected by the daughter of Don Andres Almonaster y Roxas, who inherited millions from her generous father. On the spot where the Stars and Stripes were raised in 1803 is the statue to General Jackson, the victor of the battle of New Orleans, to which the same public-spirited woman was a large contributor.
The tomb of Don Andres is shown in the Cathedral THROUGH THE SUNNY SOUTH he gave to the people, by the side of the Cabildo which he built for the city he loved.